Discord is indeed a great platform to interact with people from across the globe. It’s a popular communication platform among gamers, offering both text and voice-based chat opportunities to its users. It can be used by the people to chat even during online gaming sessions.
It has become immensely popular especially among the gamers community. The development team never fails to impress the users of this platform, and has been regularly updating it. However, lately many discord users are complaining about a common issue which they’re facing frequently while using this platform.
The users are unable to hear what they are saying into the microphone while using discord. The discord not detecting mic issues has become quite prevalent these days. Check out our suggestions on Top 12 Most Useful Discord Bots.
But, not to worry!
You can easily do away with this problem and get back to enjoying interacting with your gaming friends.
How to solve Discord mic not working issue?
In the following segment, we’ll be sharing some easy hacks to get rid of the discord not picking up mic issues quite effortlessly.
Allow Discord to use your microphone
Before you switch to certain critical solutions to resolve this issue, check if you’ve enabled the settings for your microphone on your system. Ensuring that the discord is allowed to use your microphone should be the first step towards solving the discord mic not working problem.
The following steps will help you to make sure that you’ve enabled the required settings on your Windows/macOS:
- Go to the Settings option on your PC.
- Select the Privacy option from the following window.
- Under the Apps Permissions section, choose microphone ( from the side-bar to the left hand)
- Toggle the button below the Allow apps to access your microphone option to allow the discord to access your microphone.
Once done, close the settings tab and then check if the discord mic is working or not.
- Choose Apple Menu< System Preferences
- Next, go to Security & Privacy and then click Privacy.
- Click Microphone.
- Check the box next to the Discord app. This will allow the discord to use the microphone.
If you’re not able to resolve the discord mic not working issue, jump to the next solution.
Choose the Right Input and Output Devices.
In case the previous solution fails to fix the “Discord not connecting issue”, then you can try this method to do away with the problem. You must make sure that you’re choosing the right Input/Output device on your system.
- Choose your Microphone as the input device at the very top of your page.
- Make sure that you’ve turned up the volume of both the Input/output devices to an optimum level, so you can easily hear what you’re saying into your microphone.
- Once done with the above two steps, click the Let’s Check Button to make sure that the issue is resolved.
Reset Your Voice Settings in Discord.
Once you’re done with the above two methods and yet not successful in resolving the discord mic not working problem, then resetting the voice settings in discord is your next stop.
- Go to the User Settings. Under the Apps Settings choose the Voices & Video option.
- Scroll down to the Reset Voice Settings at the bottom of the page and then click on it.
- Once done, you can check your Mic by clicking the Let’s Check button under the Mic Test.
This must resolve the existing issue and you can now hear back what you’re saying into your microphone.
NOTE- Once you’ll click the Reset Voice Settings button, your previous settings will get dissolved.
Logging Out and Restarting Discord.
If none of the above-discussed solutions could rescue you from the discord mic not working problem, then log out and restart your discord.
- Go to the user settings.
- Scroll down the window to locate a bright red colored Logout button at the bottom.
- Click on the LogOut button.
- Close discord. Then restart it and login back by filling in your credentials.
Check for External Factors.
Despite implementing all the above solutions, if you’re still not able to fathom the reason behind your discord not picking up mic, then there’s a slight possibility that it’s your microphone that got the real issue.
- Your USB cable must be properly connected to your PC. Try to unplug it and then plug it again to check if the issue is resolved or not.
- Try to plug the USB cable in different ports.
- Your system must have the latest drivers/software for the device that you’re using as the microphone.
- The microphone must not mute while connected with your system.
- Try using some other device as the microphone to check if it’s your system or your microphone which is having some issue.
Try Pushing to Talk.
You can try switching the Input mode from Voice Activity to Push to Talk in the Discord Settings.
The following are the steps to establish the above-stated settings:
- Go to User Settings
- Under the App settings, click Voice & Video.
- Scroll down the Input mode, to locate the Push to Talk option.
NOTE- Two options of Voice Activity are already pre-set.
- Check the box next to the Push to Talk option ( You need to set a key on the keyboard as an activator. So whenever you want your microphone to take your voice as its input, you’ll need to use that activator key.)
- Now select Record Keybind to select an activator key on your system’s keyboard.
- Once done, click Stop Recording.
So next time you’ll discord with anyone, press the activator key. This must resolve the microphone not working issue.
Check if ‘Automatic Input Sensitivity’ is enabled.
You might be facing the discord mic not working issue in case the Automatic Input Sensitivity is disabled. This would prevent the discord app from picking up the sounds from your microphone.
To enable the settings, follow the steps listed below:
- Go to User Settings< App Settings< Voice & Video
- Scroll down the page to the Input Sensitivity option. Under this, turn on the Automatically detect input sensitivity option as shown below.
Now if your microphone is working properly with the discord, it will be shown via a solid green flash below the settings.
These are the 7 easiest methods, using which you can solve the discord mic not working issue. Facing Problem in adding bots to server see this, How to add bots to a discord server.
You can even try running the Discord app on your Pc as an administrator by just right-clicking on the discord icon and then selecting Run as Administrator.
You can email the “Discord” talented audio support team if none of the methods discussed above can solve the problem.