Website optimization is a necessary and crucial process. One cannot really afford to neglect this vital requirement. In fact, in today’s highly competitive world, it is imperative to optimize a website as per proper search engine standards. Also, the role and importance of social media cannot be ignored in today’s time. It has become mandatory to optimize a website keeping various social media channels in mind like Facebook, Twitter etc. However, nothing can beat the amazing results provided by top search engines. A website optimized well according to search engine standards is likely to receive quality traffic and is likely to be discovered by many potential customers.
Since search traffic is extremely important for online business, it has resulted into the dedicated efforts made by the entire industry in improving a website’s visibility in search engine results. This is known as Search Engine Marketing. Search engine marketing is a wide and quite complex topic that focuses on SEO or search engine optimization. Besides that, it also includes the use of paid advertising and contextual advertisements. This helps a lot in bringing a website’s content or product pages in top search engine result pages also known as SERPs. Discusses below are some of the vital issues and best practices for optimizing a website for good search engine results.
First and foremost, before we proceed further with search engine optimization, here is a discussion on SEM. SEM has different definition for different people. And this has caused much confusion among search professionals for years. To have a clear idea about SEM, it is important to know that there are basically two ways of defining SEM. First, it can be considered as an umbrella term that includes everything from SEO, paid search and contextual advertisements to paid inclusions. In another way, it can be considered that it is covering only paid advertising and inclusions, search is separate from SEO.
The search engine marketing professional organization believes that search engine marketing is an umbrella that encompasses both SEO and paid search. Keeping this definition in mind, here are seven superb tips on how to optimize your website and make it legible for major search engines.
Making a website SEM optimized is quite a complex task as it involves a number of things. Moreover, due attention requires to be paid to each and every crucial aspect of a website. However, with proper planning and research you can optimize your website effectively and efficiently. So what are those simple things that can help you in optimizing your website for SEM? Read further and you will find out.
1) Be familiar with SEO: If you plan to optimize your website for search engines, the very first thing is to familiarize yourself with SEO and its basics. You need to work on how to make your site easily recognizable by search engines. For this to be done efficiently, you must have a basic understanding of SEO and strategies involved in it. To learn about SEO, you can simply research online and you will find good websites like SEOmoz that provide wonderful beginner’s guide to SEO. Their helpful and easy to understand information will help you gain a good understanding of SEO and its various strategies.
2) Ensure that you grade your website: It is very important to grade your website. For this you can use Hubspot that offers a tool called Website grader. This tool gives you a quick assessment of where your website is optimized for SEM and where it is not. This way, you will get a clear picture about what are the weak areas in your website and where you need to pay more attention.
3) Always make the quick fixes: In order to optimize a site for SEM, you can spend as much time and gain consistent and good results. However, at the same time, it is absolutely important to get the little things out of the way first. It means that you must work on what the website Grader says you are lacking. It could be anything like Meta tags, keywords in your title tags etc. Whatever it is you are lacking in, just make sure that you get your act together and work hard on improving that specific aspect of your website. This would be just the right way to go ahead with the optimization process.
4) Always use SEM optimized CMS software and plug-ins: It is important to use SEM optimized content management system and plug-ins. In case you are a small and medium sized company that requires customizing selective aspects of your website, you can always use content management system like WordPress, Drupal or Zen Cart. All of these are wonderful user friendly CMS on which you can optimize the page for search engines and that too by yourself. This way you will have almost half of your job done.
5) It is always better to do a good research: You should opt for software that has good SEM features and a plug-in system to help you extend the functionality of your site. WordPress is one such software. It has the All in One SEO pack. This is a great plug-in for optimizing a website. In case you have an e commerce website, you can use Wikipedia to get a good comparison of SEO features for different shopping cart software.
6) You must test your PPC and landing page strategies: This is really very important. In fact, pay per click or PPC advertising is a major component of search engine marketing. You should put your ads in search engines. This is a very effective method of driving quality traffic to your website. Although good SEO and organic search provide good results, but it always helps to have paid placements. For this, you need to convert the visitors on your page into potential customers or regular users.
To get a clear picture, you can test which keywords and advertisements drive most traffic. You should keep a tab on the stats. At the same time, it is important to track what happens when those visitors arrive? For this, you can take help of tools like Google Analytics. It is offered by Google. It helps you in tracking visitors and find out whether they stay on your site or just bounce away.
7) Remember that inbound links are very important: The importance and value of inbound links cannot be ignored. Inbound links not only help in receiving good traffic, in fact any of the website’s flaws can be overcome if a site has enough inbound links with right anchor text pointing at the site. The inbound links are very effective and help in boosting the rank of a site in search results. Therefore, it should be your top most priority to focus on partnering with other websites, asking for links, and creating great content that others want to link to.
These are some of the very effective and helpful tips that can help you in optimizing your site in a much better way. If you follow these tips in a right manner, it will ensure that you site gets optimized in a perfect manner and appears in top search engine result.
This post is written by Justin Spencer, Marketing Professional at MarkupBox.com. MarkupBox.com is a specialized PSD to HTML Conversion Company, backed with years of experience and diligent professionals. We also offer software implementation service like PSD to WordPress , PSD to Magento, PSD to Joomla and PSD to Drupal and much more.