Blocking website is one of the best deals to avoid unwanted website that appears as pop-ups, harmful or phishing websites and can be also used in parental control reasons. Though some software are available in market for blocking website, why spend bucks while it can be done easily without using any special sharewares. Here are some tips to block website-
Blocking website by modifying host file
Websites can be blocked by modifying hosts file. The hosts file location is different in many operating systems. Location of the files in some of the operating systems are given below
Windows NT : %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Windows 2000 : %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Windows XP : %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Windows 2003 : %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Windows Vista : %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Windows 7 : %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Mac OS X 10.2 or newer and iOS : /private/etc/hosts
Unix, Unix-like (AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, Minix, Ultrix etc) , POSIX : /etc/hosts
Android : /system/etc/hosts
Symbian OS 9.1+ : C:\private\10000882\hosts
Now lets learn the trick of blocking website by modifying hosts file. First of all open the host file with notepad and you can see some websites which are already present containing IP (internet protocol) in prefix. For example “127.0.0.1 tonec.com”. Now just add another line with the same IP and the website you are going to block. Save that file and ou work is done, now it’s impossible to open the blocked website from your IP.
Blocking website in Internet Explorer (Avant, Maxthon)
To block websites in Internet Explorer follow these steps
- Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools-> Internet Options
- Move to “Privacy” tab in and click on “Sites” button
- Now type a website URL you wish to block and click on “Block”.
Blocking website in Firefox (Epic browser, SeaMonkey, Flock)
Firefox is popular web browser with its great stability and ability to extend its features by installing add-ons. To block the websites in firefox you can go for “BlockSite” add-on which offers a flexible method.
- Once installed this add-on open “Blocksite preferences”
- Add the website you wish to block, one of top feature of this plug-in is that you can use wildcards to block the sites, for example using *game* will block all websites which consist “game” in its domain name.
- Set the password to Blocksite plug-in to prevent other from modifying your settings.
- Finally hit “OK” button.
Blocking website with BlueCoat k9 Web Protection
K9 is known as the best security system to get protected against the harmful resources in the world of internet which is absolutely free. Blocking website by using k9 setup console is the most effective way. Here’s how to block a website using k9 setup console-
- Open the BlueCoat k9 from start menu
- Go to “Setup” by specifying your password
- Click on “Web site Exceptions” button and specify a website URL in “Always Block” input box then click “Add to list”
- Finally securely log out from k9.