Did you know that lawyers were amongst the first to jump on the BlackBerry bandwagon? Some of them wouldn’t even feel like associates without the nifty electronic gears in their pockets.
Fast forward to these day’s current technologies. Our legal professional industry now relies on applications more than ever to streamline and organize their workloads. Daily tasks of researching for information and timekeeping, to communicating with colleagues and clients, lawyers use their Smartphones to manage their hectic schedule.
Here are just 4 mobile apps that are currently being used by mobile-savvy lawyers:
A free legal research application, putting the American law library in the palm of your hand. Fastcase contains cases and statutes from all 50 states and from the federal government. You can search by citation, keyword (in Boolean or natural language), or browse statute collections.
Fastcase also uses smart search technology from Fastcase’s fully-featured Web-based legal research application, which allows you to sort the most relevant results to the top of the list, customize and re-sort search results, and integrate citation analysis tools right into the results list.
ABA Journal Daily News.
This nifty app lets you read summaries of the latest legal news, updated as it happens throughout every business day. Plus, you can find original news reports and analysis, and read in-depth monthly magazine articles, for free wherever you are. Readers also will find contests, galleries, questions, polls and lively comments.
The ABA Journal is the United States' most respected legal magazine, read by half the nation's 1.1 million lawyers every month. It covers the trends, people and finances of the legal profession from Wall Street to Main Street to Pennsylvania Avenue.
IDfy is a mobile application that can be used on your iPhone to verify the identity of your clients for conveyancing transactions. IDfy lets you take pictures of your client and their identification documents in order to satisfy VOI regulations. IDfy’s intuitive system understands the VOI category requirements and guides you through simple steps to ensure a standardized and compliant VOI process within your office.
- Creates a standardized, secured and streamlined verification of identity process
- Allows you to maintain face-to-face contact with your client during VOI, creating a more personable experience
- Integrates with existing practice management systems to capture search costs automatically and save time on rekeying data
- Gives you complete control of the VOI process – you can verify your client’s identity in any location without having to rely on third parties
- Saves time by eliminating the need for document photocopying and physical filing
- Securely stores your VOI records for 7 years
- Encourages compliance with new VOI requirements
Tripit Travel Organizer.
This app lets you organize your travel plans in one place with TripIt® from Concur. Simply forward your travel confirmation emails to [email protected] and TripIt automagically creates a detailed daily itinerary for every trip.
- Forward hotel, airline, car rental, and restaurant confirmation emails to [email protected] to create an instant itinerary (If you use Gmail or Google Apps, it happens automatically)
- Access travel plans anytime (even offline), on any device—now including Apple Watch
- Get directions and maps for each destination
- Sync trip plans with your Apple Calendar, Outlook, or Google Calendar
- Add or edit plans manually—from the app or on tripit.com
- Share some (or all) of your trip plans via email or social
Also read: 5 Apps to Help You Manage your Time
Hundreds of things go into a lawyer’s day-to-day activity, from the legal work itself to handling and consolidating everything else around it. Luckily, lawyers have tons of mobile applications available that allow them to focus on legal work, rather than focusing on the admin-intensive responsibilities that drain their productivity.