Table of Contents
Microsoft’s Power BI is creating quite a buzz in the business analytics service. There is a rising demand for professionals with Microsoft Power BI certification training. Power BI is a solution for business analytics for visualizing your data, sharing your data through reports and live dashboards, as well as embedding the data in apps and websites. In this article, you will get an overview of the Power BI tool and some basic questions related to Power BI that are frequently asked in Power BI job interviews.
What is Power BI?
Power BI is a business analytics software solution offered by Microsoft. It consists of software services, connectors, and apps that aim to provide cloud-based business intelligence services and interactive visual insights. The interface is straightforward that enables end-users to create dashboards and reports. Whether it is an on-premises hybrid data warehouse, cloud-based collection of data, or a simple Excel spreadsheet, with Power BI, you can conveniently connect to your data sources, explore them, publish reports, and collaborate with your organization.
Basic interview questions on Power BI
Knowing the importance of the Microsoft Power BI certification training course, your next step should be getting familiar with some basic questions that are generally asked during Power BI job openings. A set of the top Power BI interview questions has been listed below:
1. What are the different components of Power BI?
– Power BI Desktop (Windows desktop application), Power BI service (an online SaaS service), and Power BI mobile apps for Android and iOS devices
2. What is the use of Microsoft Power BI Desktop?
– It is a desktop-based application on Windows used to design, generate, and publish reports to the cloud.
3. Briefly describe the workflow of the Power BI components.
– The Power BI components work in collaboration and follow a general workflow – the first step involves connecting to the sources of data, followed by building the report in Power BI Desktop. Next, the report can be published to the Power BI Service and shared, so that end-users can access and interact with the report on mobile devices.
4. What is the function of the Power BI Report Server?
– Power BI Report Server enables publishing Power BI reports to an on-premises report server. It provides services and ready-to-use tools when you want to keep reports behind a firewall, without moving to the cloud.
5. What are the building blocks of Power BI?
– Visualizations, datasets, reports, dashboards, and tiles
6. What are the different components of Power BI?
– Power Pivot, Power Query, Power Q&A, Power View, and Power Map
7. What are some of the essential features of Power BI?
– Exploration and analysis of data from many sources, visual transformation, and sharing of data, built-in security, compatibility across multiple devices, ease of making report-related queries using simple English
8. What are the most common data sources?
– Power BI datasets, MS Excel, text, web, analysis services, and SQL server.
9. What is DAX?
– DAX or Data Analysis Expressions are a collection of functions, constants, and operators that are used in formulas for calculating and returning values.
10. What is Content Pack?
– These are packaged dashboards, reports, and datasets that can be shared and accessed by other Power BI users of the organization.
11. What is Row Level Security?
– It is a security feature in Power BI that uses filters to ensure that only the relevant users have access to the data.
12. What is the function of the in-built time intelligence feature?
-The in-built time intelligence features of Power BI allow quick and easy detection of data trends. Various attributes and dimensions, such as the date-time dimension, can be used to view the data.
13. Is Power BI considered to be a user-friendly interface? If yes, why?
-Yes, Power BI is considered to be extremely user-friendly due to its interface which essentially eases the task of exploring underlying data. For instance, there are a host of innovative visual tools in Power BI that let you combine data from different files, web services, and databases.
14. Why is Power BI popular?
The benefits of Microsoft Power BI certification training will be evident once we look into the reasons behind the surging popularity of Power BI. Some of its salient features include: You can stay up-to-date about the data. Since Power BI is cloud-based, authorized users can access reports, irrespective of their location and the device they are using. Any change in data is continuously notified on mobile devices, allowing real-time data monitoring.
Power BI enables integration of data, whether it is located externally, in the cloud, or locally. Through the interactive dashboards, you can effortlessly search and explore data.
Power BI allows you to have a clear and consolidated overview of your financial data in a single window.
Power BI comes with remarkable compression abilities of text/.csv and Microsoft Excel files that contain data, too vast for analysis and visualization in Excel.
- You can stay up-to-date about the data. Since Power BI is cloud-based, authorized users can access reports, irrespective of their location and the device they are using. Any change in data is continuously notified on mobile devices, allowing real-time data monitoring.
- Power BI enables integration of data, whether it is located externally, in the cloud, or locally. Through the interactive dashboards, you can effortlessly search and explore data.
- Power BI allows you to have a clear and consolidated overview of your financial data in a single window.
- Power BI comes with remarkable compression abilities of text/.csv and Microsoft Excel files that contain data, too vast for analysis and visualization in Excel.
Need to take a course
As the demand for data reporting and data visualization is soaring, most companies are on the lookout for Power BI Dashboard Designers. There is a surge in Power BI job openings. The stepping stone towards a career as a Power BI specialist is a Microsoft Power BI certification training course. Having this certification validates your expertise in data analysis, data modeling and visualization, dashboard configuration, and direct connection to data sources in Excel as well as Power BI.
Power BI skills let you create real value for the business, giving the latter better control over customers and operations. The certification course trains you for seamless handling of Power BI Desktop, Power BI Service, and Power BI mobile. Proficiency in Power BI opens up a range of potential career paths, including data engineers, data scientists, business analysts, and product managers. Such professionals, who have knowledge of power query, data warehouse roles, self-service analytics, and Microsoft flow, are instrumental in changing the course of businesses through the robust platform of Power BI.
Power BI has simplified the processes of data integration and data visualization with the added benefits of Row Level Security, cloud-based environment, and Natural Language query. It has become an indispensable tool for companies aspiring towards a data-driven culture. There cannot be a better time to sign-up for a Microsoft Power BI certification training course!