The fate of your Instagram account in terms of engagement and reach will entirely depend on the Instagram algorithm. This algorithm keeps on changing, and the changes are kept a secret from the users. However, if only you know about these changes, you will be able to react as required and satisfy all its requirements to gain a better and wider exposure.
The Big Three of the Instagram algorithm is no more a secret. According to Instagram, the three principal factors that will determine the content of your Instagram feed are:
- Interest: Using the image recognition technology, the platform assesses the content of any given post. It identifies the interest if you frequently engage with posts that feature a particular element or object. The algorithm will give preference to those images and videos only while organizing your feed.
- Timeliness: This is the date and time of posting the image or video. It is more unlikely that any regular user will see a post that is posted a few days ago.
- Relationships: Since Instagram is all about relationships with friends, family, celebrities, and others, the platform looks into the likes, comments, tags, and DMs to look into the established relationship.
Apart from the above, there are also three secondary ranking factors followed by Instagram, such as frequency, usage, and following.
Consider what you post
If you want to make the Instagram algorithm work in your favor, you will need to consider what you post, how often you post, and how you post.
- Posting frequency: When it comes to posting on Instagram, you should post more often, but make sure that all your posts are of high quality. Posting great content regularly will ensure that the followers do not miss it.
- What to post: Apart from the best pictures, make sure that you also post videos. This will make your posts more appealing, informative, and interactive. It will increase visibility by 80%, which will make the algorithm find more videos for the users who stop by to watch a video.
- How to post: Post when the users are active, be specific and personable, use proper and relevant hashtags, run a contest, and encourage the users to turn on notifications.
All these will make sure that your posts are genuinely appealing and incredible, increasing its reach and likeability to the Instagram algorithm.
Outsmart Instagram algorithm
You will need to outsmart the Instagram algorithm if you want to survive the stiff competition. One of the most effective ways to do so is to post during peak hours only. This is the most straightforward way to provide Instagram algorithm what it wants. You will, therefore, need to research a lot to know about the peak hours to post.
All you have to do is ensure that you do not post when the followers are asleep, and this will not need you to perform a hell lot of activities. You can use different tools to know the times when the followers are most likely to see your content. Accordingly, you can schedule your posts in advance. You can take the help of experts like https://blastup.com/ for that matter as well.
If you are unsure about the best times to post, post more often. Just make sure that:
- You break up the posts and
- Your feed feels fresh and diverse.
This is the best process when you are in doubt to ensure that you hit the right times, some time or the other.
Few FAQs answered
While using the Instagram platform and to make its algorithm work, you will need to clarify all doubts in your mind.
- One common question that users ask is whether or not the chronological Instagram feed will come back anytime soon. Well, no, it will not. This is beaches Instagram does not want to add to the complexity, according to TechCrunch, because if done, the users may forget the set feed.
- Another question that may come up in your mind is whether or not your reach will reduce according to the new algorithm if you switch to an Instagram business profile. Once again, the answer is no, it won’t because Instagram does not give and additional exposure to none, whether it is personal or a business account.
Some other common questions can be whether a video or Instagram new features will perform well in the Instagram algorithm. Well, not anymore.
Know the principles
You will also need to know a few specific principles based on which the Instagram algorithm works.
Ideally, the Instagram algorithm will allow only those posts to stay longer that have a high rate of engagement. While determining engagement, the algorithm follows a specific process.
- It collects the number of likes, shares, comments, and saves and
- Then divides it by the total number of followers.
It also considers the interactions, which in Instagram refers to likes, shares, comments, time spent while viewing a post, DMs, saves, and other different metrics. All these metrics are also divided by the total number of followers that the specific post has.
The algorithm ranks the high-engagement posts first because the chronological order of listing the posts is much less effective.
Important actions to take
There are a few specific actions that you should take to make the Instagram algorithm work your way.
- First, you can ask your followers to turn on post notifications. This will ensure that they see you more on the platform.
- Secondly, you can run a content or giveaway valuables that will encourage them to tag their friends.
- Thirdly, partner with the influencers to increase your ROI and profits. Do not just tag username but create a perfect blend of their talent and your creativity in your Stories.
Lastly, make sure that you repost the content of others as well by tagging their name after taking consent. This will save a lot of time and hassle to create fresh content every time. You can tag the entire account or write the username in the caption.
All these tips and practices will help you to keep up with the requirements of the Instagram algorithm.
About the Guest Contributor
Walter Moore is a notable management consultant and digital marketing expert. He is an experienced digital marketer and has helped e-commerce businesses in all niches gain with his effective marketing strategies and guidance.